Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mango Protein Smoothie



This was breakfast this morning and was surprisingly good. I used plain protein powder, but next time I will try mango-flavored protein powder. And I will experiment with other fruit as well. I had frozen mango chunks in the freezer, but you could also use fresh mango if you prefer. I used powdered non-fat milk and water, but you could use 1/2 cup of skim milk instead. I have experimented with cottage cheese in other fruit smoothies with mixed results, but it does work with mango really well, and you don't get a strong cottage cheese or protein powder flavor. The key with using cottage cheese when making shakes and smoothies is to thoroughly blend the mixture so you do not get any larger pieces of cottage cheese. I make this, along with most of my single-serving smoothies in my Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender with Travel Lid since I can just mix it and drink from the same container which means less dishes. Because of the small size I suggest adding the ingredients in the order listed, but if you are using a bigger blender you can just toss everything in together and blend until smooth. I tried a quarter of the recipe as is (good), a quarter with cinnamon (OK, but not great), a quarter with vanilla (good), and the last bit with a mix of cardamom and ginger (my personal favorite, but probably not to most people's taste.) This is not a very sweet smoothie, so if you would prefer something sweeter you can add some artificial sweetener or sugar free mango syrup. If you do not have frozen mangoes, you can use fresh berries plus additional ice cubes. To make sure the smoothie is not too diluted you can just put the ice cubes in a one cup measuring cup and then add enough water to measure one cup.


1/2 cup ice cubes
1/2 cup frozen mango (46 calories, 0g protein)
1/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese (26 calories, 4g protein)
1 1/2 tablespoons non-fat dry milk powder (45 calories, 4.5g protein)
1/2 scoop unflavored protein powder (for testing purposes we used 1 scoop (22 grams) which is equivalent to a 1/2 scoop of other protein powders) Syntrax Nectar Medical Unflavored Protein Powder (80 calories, 20g protein)
1/2 cup water

Combine the ice and mango in the blender and pulse until finely chopped/crushed. Add the cottage cheese, dry milk powder, and protein powder and blend until smooth. Slowly add the water while blending until smooth, adding more water if desired for a thinner smoothie.

Makes one 12-ounce smoothie.
197 calories, 28.5 grams protein

No comments:

Post a Comment