Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mixed Berry Smoothie

I don't use a lot of regular milk in my recipes, so I almost always use powdered non-fat milk and water, but you could use 1 cup of skim milk or skim milk plus instead. I make this, along with most of my single-serving smoothies and shakes, in my Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender with Travel Lid since I can just mix it and drink from the same container which means less dishes, but any blender or small food processor will work just fine. I used calorie-free liquid sweeteners, but you can use your favorite artificial sweetener if you prefer (about 2 tablespoons granular or 2 packets) plus 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice. If you do not have frozen berries, you can use fresh berries plus additional ice cubes. To make sure the smoothie is not too diluted you can just put the ice cubes in a one cup measuring cup and then add enough water to measure one cup.

1/2 cup frozen no sugar added mixed berries (35 calories, .5 grams protein)
2 ice cubes
1 cup water
1/3 cup non-fat dry milk powder (45 calories, 4.5g protein)
4 drops liquid Sucralose
2 drops Lemon Stevia
1/2 scoop unflavored or vanilla protein powder (for testing we used Unjury Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (100 calories, 20g protein)

Combine the ice and berries in the blender and pulse until finely chopped/crushed. Add the water, dry milk powder, sweeteners, and protein powder and blend until smooth. Add more water, if desired, for a thinner smoothie. Serve immediately.

Makes one serving.

180 calories, 25 grams protein

No comments:

Post a Comment